A country subsidiary in India of a MNC specialist pharmaceutical company has over 150 people supporting two main businesses – visioncare and surgicals. The leadership group of the firm in India realized that the market conditions in India were at a strategic inflection point, similar to the space where the telecom industry was a decade earlier. They wanted the firm to be best positioned in the marketplace to take advantage of the future growth.
What the organization realized was that to help take the advantage of this growth it needed to address two major challenges on the people management front. They were:
1. Increase retention – specially at the middle management level
2. Get high talented performers ready for leadership levels.
The organization reached out to Vyaktitva – a performance support consulting firm for a holistic approach and implementation help.
The Vyaktitva Approach
Vyaktitva approached the client’s needs using its E power 7 approach. It was chosen as it helps client organizations to
- Unravel the real causes of the talent management problem or excavate an opportunity
- Co-create/ blue print and build ownership for a group intervention that is tailor fit for your needs
- Execute the intervention by walking the thin line on softer ground and measure impact
- Enshrine the created processes or benefits of intervention in the organization
Phase I Excavate:
Vyaktitva’s approach takes the firm’s elemental diagnostics approach – looking at all the aspects of the organization. Vyaktitva’s consultants conducted one on one discussions with a group of employees across levels to understand the business. These discussions were conducted using Appreciative Inquiry to focus on the client’s strengths.
The consultants further studied all documents like Job Descriptions, the Performance Management System process as well as the Potential Management process.
Phase II: Envision
On analyzing the structure Vyaktitva came to the conclusion that the client had too many roles and competencies described. Its suggestion was to make it simple for people to comprehend and hence reduce the complexity.
This was done at two levels. Vyaktitva Consultants helped the company HR to pare the competencies and work levels. Then these were presented to the Leadership team of the organization and in a workshop facilitated by Vyaktitva Consultants, a second level reduction was done by the Executive Committee to finally arrive at 4 work levels and 8 finalised competencies. In the same workshop Vyaktitva Consultants helped the Executive Committee to also articulate the various behavioral indicators to display the competencies at different levels.
After the leadership workshop Vyaktitva consultants refined the various competencies and their level wise behavioral indicators to make them easy to comprehend and apply.
Phase III: Energize
These finalized competencies and their behavioral indicators were then verified by Vyaktitva by doing workshops with high potential employees at each level and then finalized. This phase was based on a co-creation model which energized these employees.
This was followed by designing the process of career development which took into account:
- The overall principle of the talent management framework – to ensure that all employees take ownership of their own career journeys
- How a leader would identify different levels of talent readiness – Specific time frames were defined to move to the next level
- A key principle for the process of development was learning through real life where we recognized that 70% of learning happens on the job, 20% is directed by a mentor/coach and 10% by attending formal learning sessions.
All this was put together in a ready reckoner book which soon became the bible for talent and career development in the organization.
Phase IV: Enable
Key people were trained on the talent management framework, who then trained other employees – which contributed to a huge level of energy being generated in the organizational system.
This was a followed up with a Counselling workshop for selected leaders who would act as career counselors to employees – after which they started conversations around designing critical experience projects which their counselee would implement for competency development.
Phase V: Execute
The intervention has enabled the entire organization move to a developmental frame – which is focused on business impact – for example, each employee has undertaken a developmental project which has a business impact.
Phase VI: Evaluate (Ongoing)
To keep a track of the project the Vyaktitva consultants have a Quarterly project review with Executive Leadership committee of the client. On a monthly basis internal HR and Vyaktitva have a conversation with the business leaders to assess how the critical experience projects are being implemented and reviewed.
Phase VII: Enshrine (Ongoing)
Until now the firm conducts an assessment center for functional competencies for promotion – going forward this process would be linked to the career and talent development process
Training & Development is also getting linked to people’s Individual Development Plans to the Talent Management and Career Development Process.
Impact on the client
Over a six months period, the client got the following deliverables:
- A detailed competency framework
- A talent management assessment and development workbook that all employees are using
- All people managers trained in using the new talent management process
- All employees having learning oriented critical experience projects which get assessed also on business impact.
- The regional HR and leadership team to which India geography reports into is fully supporting the initiative and looking at it as a best practice to be rolled out to other countries
Employees now understand and grasped the competency framework – for career development – and what kinds of behaviors are expected from them at each level.
The employees across the entire organization now have a view on potential future career growth path and what they need to do to achieve that.
To find out how we can help you, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org